Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Paradise Lost

As I pondered Friday's post, I began thinking about people's need to think the best of their dearly departed. After all, who benefits from thinking their loved ones are not "in a better place." Funeral after funeral, I heard things like, "at least he's not suffering anymore," or "she's got her wings and she's singing with the angels." Mind you, these are funerals for unbelievers, those who have no hope without Christ.

I don't want to seem unsympathetic here. I know the loss of a loved one is difficult for both believer and unbeliever. However, as a believer, the last thing I want to do is give false hope.

I remember years ago my mom asked me to represent our family at Earl's memorial service and say a prayer or read a verse. According to my mom, Earl's wife, Helen, w a believer...Earl was not. Most, if not all, of Earl's friends were unbelievers as well who paid tribute to him in song (Helen and Earl were part of SongMakers). Helen sang a Hawaiian hymn called Kanaka Wai Wai, but changed a few words. She sang,

Let Earl walk to paradise with you Lord,
Take his hands and lead him there

Again, Earl was not a Christian nor claimed to be.

According to God's Word, the unbelievers lot in eternity will not be paradise but will be consistent with his rejection of the only begotten of the Father, the Lord Jesus Christ; for "there is salvation in no one else; for there is no other name under heaven that has been given among men by which we must be saved" (Acts 4:12).

No comments: